By Sonia Garcia, Kaiser South San Francisco
I’ve got great news–we’ve got a date for the Kaiser Election! After months of delay tactics by NUHW, the Labor Board told them that “enough is enough,” and has finally set a date.
Ballots will be mailed on April 5th and must be returned by April 29th at 5pm. The actual vote count will start on 10:00am on Wednesday May 1st.
By standing united, SEIU-UHW Kaiser members have won the best contract in the hospital industry, with guarantees our families can count on:
- Excellent wages that keep getting better (total 18% guaranteed raises over two contracts)
- PSP bonuses that put thousands more in our pockets
- Guaranteed fully employer-paid family health coverage with no increase in co-pays plus improved dental coverage (increased to $1,200 per year)
- Best job security protections in the hospital industry (52 weeks income security)
- Defined benefit pension plan for ALL SEIU-UHW members, regardless of hire date
- Lower raises than SEIU-UHW members won
- Higher medical co-pays— $20 for doctor visits, $10 generic drugs, $15 brand-name drugs, $50 ER visit, $50 outpatient procedure, $100 hospital admission
- No pension for new hires, only a risky 401(k)
- Retiree medical no longer fully paid; new hires lose spouse coverage
- No income security – can be laid off with just 2-weeks notice
- No PSP bonus
- No protections from having jobs sub-contracted
I’d say the choice is clear. Now is our chance to move forward with our guaranteed SEIU-UHW contract and be rid of NUHW’s division and failures once and for all.