Late last year, Kaiser pushed hard to reduce respiratory therapist staffing in Northern CA to dangerously low levels. For months we’ve stood united and pushed back — and in our latest bargaining session we put a STOP to Kaiser’s efforts to cut RT staff. We protected our jobs and our patients by making sure that Kaiser honors the staffing levels and patient time necessary for us to perform our jobs safely.
Ensuring Safe Staffing Levels — Move to AARC Standards
We are implementing a pilot program following the AARC standards which will allot more time for every task we do. This change will greatly improve the quality of patient care we are able to deliver.
AARC Standards Pilot Program Details
- Kaiser Oakland, Santa Clara, South San Francisco, South Sacramento, and Santa Rosa will participate in a pilot that will transition us from Medilinks to EPIC.
- All Northern CA Respiratory Therapist departments will have intranet access to the AARC guidelines and accurate equivalent RVU for work activities.
- Pilot facilities will receive training and a job guide on how to properly document our work during the pilot. Bargaining Team members will shadow and assist us in the transition from Medilinks to EPIC.
- The pilot program will last five weeks before being implemented in other facilities.
- Once the transition starts in other facilities, Bargaining Team members will participate in 30, 60, and 90-day follow-ups with management and will work through the Labor Management Partnership to review and improve the transition process.
Let’s Keep Pushing to Improve Patient Care
Kaiser management is refusing to allow us a regional RT leader to represent us in upper-level meetings with Kaiser. Currently, nurses represent us — but we need our own place at the table to stand up for our jobs and our patients.
We also need greater structure in our department, so we’re fighting for a committee that meets several times a year to make sure all staff are working within department guidelines.
Let’s continue to fight for a voice in patient care. Talk to any member of our SEIU-UHW RT Bargaining Team to learn more:
Deborah Harrison, Oakland
Ivory Evans and Topes (Victor) Fadal, San Leandro
Mimi Fermer, Sacramento
Michael Larocco, San Rafael
Matt Cravea, Santa Rosa
Barbara Thompson, Richmond
Liz Grigsby, Roseville
Michelle Guelce, Fresno
Elizabeth Gonzales, Antioch
Liberty Webster, Vacaville