Position: Communication Specialist
Classification: Full-time, Exempt
SEIU-UHW members have an ambitious plan that includes committing our union to improving healthcare quality and outcomes, lowering cost and expanding access and providing a platform for healthcare providers to advocate for a more just healthcare system. We are looking for either experienced, senior-level or entry-level communications staff to work on exciting campaigns.
The Communications Department of SEIU United Healthcare Workers-West handles all aspects of communications in support of our organizing, legislative and contract bargaining campaigns.
- Work with team and independently to develop creative ways to communicate with members and non-members, particularly using new media skills including but not limited to FB, Twitter, effective email, text messaging and other social media.
- Create communications strategies, budgets, messaging documents and timelines;
- Conceptualize, shoot and edit video projects for quick use in social media, or slightly longer for presentations;
- Write, edit and produce direct mail, flyers, brochures and other traditional literature;
- Write, edit and distribute press releases, letters to the editor and op-eds;
- Make outreach calls to reporters and cultivate relationships with media;
- Train workers and staff to be effective spokespeople and story-tellers;
- Write, edit and produce paid media (online, print, radio, etc.);
- Help create and maintain websites;
- Create effective messaging and concepts for signage and promotional materials.
- Excellent ability to work closely with a team, accommodate requests from team members, and assimilate input from multiple sources;
- Experience with social media;
- Excellent inter-personal skills, an enthusiastic attitude and a commitment to contribute to a positive work environment;
- An ability and commitment to modeling pro-active leadership behavior and skills;
- The ability, experience, energy and enthusiasm to take responsibility for whole communications campaigns and pro-actively see each component through to a successful conclusion;
- Deep commitment to the labor movement and progressive causes;
- Excellent visual, written and verbal communications skills.
- BA or higher;
- At least 2 years experience working in communications for progressive political campaigns, non-profit organization or union;
- Proficiency in MS Office programs and design programs such as InDesign and Photoshop,
- Experience shooting and editing video and taking good quality photos;
- Must thrive in an environment with tight deadlines; changing priorities, high-pressure and irregular hours;
- Written placement test required of all applicants.
SEIU-UHW offers a competitive salary, commensurate with experience, and a generous benefit package.
SEIU is an affirmative action employer and encourages applications from all qualified candidates regardless of gender, race, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, or disability. Please submit cover letter and resume with at least three references as on document to email@example.com and reference “Communication Specialist” and the search engine you are applying from in the subject line.