Share this Healthcare Hero Bill of Rights on Facebook:
COVID-19 is a grave threat across our state and nation, especially for frontline healthcare workers. In California, tens of thousands of healthcare workers have been infected by COVID-19 and over 140 have died from the disease. We are the workforce leading our state and nation through this pandemic— and we demand these rights on the job to protect our patients, ourselves, our families, and our communities.
Personal Protective Equipment for All
- All healthcare workers, including service and technical workers, have access to all necessary PPE — and facility policies guarantee this right.
- Our facility maintains a 30-day supply of PPE on hand, including N95 respirators, face masks, isolation gowns, eye protection, face shields, and gloves.
- Transparency from management about the facility’s PPE distribution policy and ongoing input from workers about its effectiveness.
- Ongoing training and retraining of all workers on PPE policies and protocols, including the safe donning and removal of PPE.
- Airborne isolation precautions, including N95 respirator masks/PAPRS/CAPRS in all close interactions with confirmed or suspected COVID-19 patients and for any staff present during aerosolized procedures.
- No layoffs, furloughs, or other cuts to worker hours should be implemented.
- Robust staffing to ensure patients are cared for and workers are safe.
- Relief staffing to ensure caregivers can take time off and recharge.
Strong Facility Safeguards
- Tightly controlled facility access, including temperature checks and symptom screening for everyone who enters.
- No entry to facility for anyone without a mask.
- Areas where COVID-19 patients and patients under investigation are located should be isolated and clearly marked.
- Installation of plexiglass barriers at all windows with public interaction.
- Enhanced surface disinfecting with strong EVS staffing to ensure sanitation.
- Physical distancing enforced throughout the facility to the greatest possible extent.
- Pre-visit testing of all patients coming in for scheduled procedures.
Strong Support from Management
- Policy on protecting high-risk staff, such as those over 65, with asthma, or otherwise immunocompromised.
- Policy to remove pregnant employees from direct interaction with COVID-19 patients.
- Resources to assist employees with childcare challenges.
- Increased mental health resources to support healthcare workers coping with exhaustion, trauma, and stress.
Safe Protocols for Exposed Workers
- Immediate notification to all employees who may have been exposed to COVID-19.
- Immediate testing of all exposed workers and access to regular testing for all
- No loss of pay, leave time, benefits, or seniority for any worker quarantined due to exposure at work.
- Full compliance with state law (AB 1867) requiring healthcare employers to provide up to 80 hours of additional paid sick leave to workers unable to work due to COVID-19 infection or exposure.
- Exposed employees trained on how to protect their families from infection, provided PPE to protect their families, and offered hotel accommodations to protect family members.
Respect for Risking Our Lives
- Full protection of our jobs, wages, and benefits.
- Regular communication from hospital management in multiple forums to provide updates, reinforce prevention protocols, and combat misinformation.
- A strong worker voice in all protocols, plans, and decisions involving COVID-19 safety measures.
- The right to speak out and advocate for our patients’ and coworkers’ safety without fear of retaliation.
Submit an incident report if your employer has put your health or livelihood at risk.